Monday, November 30, 2009

Wasting my Time ...

I have so many things to do. I can think of more than one thing that needs my attention, and all of them are things that are related to my jobs. I often end up sidetracked by the internet (facebook, twitter, fanfiction top the list of culprits, ofcourse), by tv and other stuff that may affect productivity really bad. In the end, I do get the jobs done by cramming them. 

2 nights ago, we were watching ABS-CBN's Kalye. What struck me the most was the feature on those park traffic helpers in eme in Quezon which is considered the fastest access route to Bicol. For one, it is a very dangerous job because eme is the most dangerous street in the Philippines since it is carved from the mountains and said to be spelling eme in script, hence, the name. With its elevated terrain and how it can only accommodate one car at a time, it has been a place where a lot of accidents have happened. The traffic helpers are not even official government workers. The only pay they get is from the coins tossed by motorists. 

There was a guy whose shift started from 6am and by 9am, he only has 9pesos in his can. I felt mortified. I realized that if I work for three hours I get so much more than 9pesos. Still, I end up stalling sometimes. Even if I am more comfortably seated in front of the computers, I feel lazy while these traffic helpers are out under the heat of the sun standing in dangerous spots just to earn some bucks. I should be ashamed of myself.

I am trying to grapple with the message from this. I am thankful for having two jobs that I can juggle. I am thankful for the opportunities coming my way. I am thankful for everything.

May i not squander my time that much anymore. May I also reach out to help those that I can.

No comments: